Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sub Thoughts - Dragon Ball: Episode 4: Oolong, the Kidnapping Monster

Episode Data
Original Japanese Airdate: March 19, 1986
Major Cast: Son Goku (Masako Nozawa), Bulma (Hiromi Tsuru), Oolong (Naoki Tatsuta), Narrator (Joji Yanami)
Synopsis: Goku and Bulma arrive at a certain village, where the fifth Dragon Ball is located. Goku is mistaken for the freely shape-shifting monster Oolong, who raids the village, and is hit by a sudden attack from one of the villagers! Bulma makes a promise with the villagers that “We’ll take care of Oolong in exchange for the Six-Star Ball that’s in this village”. Goku disguises himself as one of the village girls, and the captured monster’s true identity turns out to be a piglet, of all things!! Bulma and Goku obtain the Six-Star Ball. Taking in Oolong as their ally, they continue their adventure to find the remaining Dragon Balls!!



---

Already a decent way into this episode, and not near as much to comment on so far, other than I always love the pat-pat test.

Oolong's approaching the village now though, so I'd imagine soon enough I'll have a bit more to comment on, with his real voice coming out. Officially halfway through this episode with nowhere near as much to say now though. ^_^;

Actually, both forms of Oolong so far (the giant pig-oni and the gentleman) sounded somewhat similar, and just now when he lost it upon learning Goku's 'little secret', his real voice came out. They all sound somewhat alike, are all forms of Oolong the same seiyuu, even in this episode where at first we aren't supposed to know his true form?

Yup, now the bull sounds similar enough too, I'm almost certain they're all the same seiyuu.

At last, Oolong's real form and true voice have debuted. From what I can tell so far, I like it. I have nothing against Jackson's Oolong, and I definitely like Naoki Tatsuta more than Brian Massey's take on the voice, but to compare Jackson and Massey, why do they both use a voice or just plain sound like lifetime smokers for this little pig? The somewhat nasally voice used in the original fits the appearance much better.

Also, I'd forgotten (as I have read the manga for this part before) that in the original Oolong is a kid like Goku, or at least that's what I'm getting from him saying Bulma is older than him. They always play him off as an adult of sorts from what I always gathered in the dub.

And another episode has drawn to a close. At least I finally did have something of note to say in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment