Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sub Thoughts - Dragon Ball: Episode 15: The Peculiar Girl, Lunch


Episode Data
Original Japanese Airdate:
June 4, 1986
Major Cast: Son Goku (Masako Nozawa), Kuririn (Mayumi Tanaka), Kame-sennin (Kohei Miyauchi), Lunch (Mami Koyama), Narrator (Joji Yanami)
Synopsis: Goku and Kuririn set out in search of a pichi-pichi gal, the fee for becoming a pupil of Kame-sennin. Saving Lunch, a girl who was pursued by the police, they immediately bring her to Kame-sennin’s place! Having passed the test, Goku and Kuririn are recognized as Kame-sennin’s pupils!! But it turns out that Lunch is an incredibly peculiar girl with two personalities, and becomes either violent or peaceful each time she sneezes!!

---

Hearing Nozawa and Tanaka play off of eachother is awesome. They bring out the best in each other's work I think, there's a chemistry there that I think they could see right away, which I'll bet played a part in Tanaka's casting.

Heh, I remember the edited version of the joke about how Goku tells people apart. Instead of the pat-pat test, it was by their voices. Krillin told him 'in case you can't tell, I'm a boy'. I'm sure to some it was a cheap way to cut around the 'sexuality' thing, but to me it was still funny considering both characters in question were being played by women. XD

I forgot about the Akira Toriyama wanted poster in the saloon too. Have I mentioned I like breaking-the-fourth-wall jokes? Good. This also provides another example of how Kai should have been a re-animation instead of the clip show it is, and how it should have started from DB - they so could have had one of the wanted posters be Luffy.

I just heard Chiba doubling as one of the little characters in the saloon, I'd recognize that Pilaf screech anywhere now. From the sounds of it, Gouri is playing the other henchman. Great, now I'm turning into a nerd with an ear for seiyuu too. >_<

Lunch has made her appearance now, her sweet form anyway. The sweet voice used by Mami Koyama really fits it well, and doesn't sound as ditzy as McCoy's take. I like both, and really can't choose between them at this point in time.

Goku coming over to see if Kuririn really has a winkie or not...oh geez. I just know there's a yaoi fangirl somewhere who preyed on this scene.

The joke where Goku mistakingly thinks Kuririn meant Roshi is going to eat the girl they find was actually kept almost verbatim in the dub too I remember. See, FUNi doesn't ALWAYS change jokes. :P

So far the bad side of Lunch is decidely less vocal in this version, so I can't get a read on her voice just yet.

When they first ride off on Kinto'un, Kuririn is clinging to Goku's back, but on the second part of it, he's clinging to Lunch's with a sly smile and rosy cheeks. You sly dog you.

It's a narrow margin, but I think I like Koyama over McCoy, at least for the sweet form. The ditziness effect to McCoy's destroys part of the sweet innocence for me. Both are excellent voices though.

Finally getting a good listen to evil Lunch though. Hmm...it certainly plays well off of her sweet voice, but I'll have to hear more before I decide which voice actor delivers better on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment