Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sub Thoughts - Dragon Ball: Episode 2: What the...?! No Balls!

Episode Data
Original Japanese Airdate:
March 5, 1986
Major Cast: Son Goku (Masako Nozawa), Bulma (Hiromi Tsuru), Pilaf (Shigeru Chiba), Shu (Tessho Genda), Mai (Eiko Yamada), Turtle (Daisuke Gouri), Narrator (Joji Yanami)
Synopsis: Goku and Bulma continue their search, looking for the fourth Dragon Ball. Bulma brings a house out from a Hoi Poi capsule, and they spend the night in there. But Goku, who has always lived in the mountains, mistakes Bulma for a sorceress. As Goku is surprised at the interior lighting and television, Bulma remarks that he’s a hick! The next morning, a lost sea turtle appears before the pair!! At the turtle’s request, the two set out to carry him to the sea, but…?!

---

Still enjoying Nozawa and Tsuru's performances, but the real star for me of this arc is Shigeru Chiba's Pilaf. Comedy. Freaking. GOLD. I mean, I'm a big fan of Chuck Huber, who I look upon as pure comedy gold in dubs, but Chiba's performance is the highlight of this re-watch for me. I don't know what it is, but something about his delivery and the voice itself is cracking me up, especially when combined with the more straight deliveries of Shu and Mai's seiyuu.

And looking it up, I'm stunning myself. Shigeru Chiba is also the seiyuu for Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho, one of my least-favorite sub voices of all time. I can't say this'll make me like his Kuwabara any better, but at least this shows that it's just a voice of his I hate, not his performances themselves.

Anyway, not much else to add here for now that I can think of, as it was a few days ago that I watched the episodes, and I haven't watched any more yet. Future installments will hopefully be typed up as I watch, so they'll be a bit more in-depth and less blathering. I invite anyone else who has all of the DB sets and has never really seen the sub version to join me, and give it a chance if you haven't. You might just find something there you like better than you did in the dub. Feel free to give feedback on my thoughts as well, or post your own here!

Until then - Kinto'un!

*jumps on the yellow cloud and flies away*

No comments:

Post a Comment