Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sub Thoughts - Dragon Ball: Episode 26: The Final Round!! Kamehameha


Episode Data
Original Japanese Airdate:
August 20, 1986
Major Cast: Son Goku (Masako Nozawa), Kuririn (Mayumi Tanaka), Kame-sennin (Kohei Miyauchi), Yamucha (Tohru Furuya), Bulma (Hiromi Tsuru), Oolong (Naoki Tatsuta), Puar (Naoko Watanabe), Narrator (Jouji Yanami)
Synopsis: The finals for the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai have been decided! Goku is knocked out of bounds by Jackie. But he spins his tail like a propeller and comes back! Goku and Jackie at last put forth their best. The two fire a Kamehameha at the same time!! Goku’s Kamehameha evenly matches Jackie’s, and knocks it back!! Demonstrating a back-and-forth display of such attacks as the Zanzoken, the Suiken, and the Saruken, their red-hot battle continues!

---

I've got to as this, because I think someone once upon a time asked this too - is there some kind-of glitch with DB season one or something? There's a freeze-frame over a crowd scene at the very beginning of this episode (before the title card even), while fighting sounds are still heard, then all of a sudden it's the last bit of Goku beating Namu. It feels...weird.

Another really good episode that sadly doesn't leave me a whole lot to comment on so far...but look at that, we have the franchise's very first beam clash!

'I'll have to think up a strategy during the commercial.' YES! I love you Muten Roshi. I'm sure all of these jokes take away from the show to some people, but to me it adds to it a lot.

So an after-image is called a Zanzo-ken?

Why did Roshi have a heritage chart at the ready to prove his relation anyway...I love the logic of these gags, or rather the lack of it. :P

So the Drunken Master routine is called 'Sui-ken'? Sui means 'drunk' or 'alcohol' perhaps then?

Nozawa's little chirps while Goku's doing his Monkey-ken routine are freaking adorable! I can tell she had a lot of fun recording these episodes.

I wish I could go on and finish this disc, as well as the tournament, as I have only two episodes left, but I've got a huge lump of reviews here, so let's call it quits for now eh? With my next post, I will finish this arc, start another one, and bring a close to 'Season One'!

No comments:

Post a Comment